The Coalition Avenir Québec (CAQ) leadership contest creates uncertainty for Quebec’s immigration pathways and the upcoming provincial budget release. While the Quebec Liberals name their new leader, the CAQ race between former cabinet ministers Christine Fréchette and Bernard Drainville extends until April 12. Outgoing Premier François Legault announced in January his plan to resign after leading the party he co-founded since its start.
Immigration Pathways in Limbo
Economic immigrants applying through the Quebec Experience Program (PEQ) face ongoing delays as leadership candidates debate exemptions or a temporary reopening. The government ended the PEQ in November 2025, shifting focus to the Skilled Worker Selection Program (PSTQ) as the sole economic residency route. Pending PEQ applications continue processing but under PSTQ criteria.
With a new hospital opening west of Montreal, local officials urge exceptions for skilled PEQ workers already in the workforce. Protests across Quebec highlight opposition to the program’s abolition. Leaders from Montreal, Quebec City, and Vaudreuil-Soulanges emphasize the need for these workers, particularly in high-demand sectors.
Jean-François Blanchard, president of the Association of Private Long-Term Care Facilities of Quebec, addressed the issue at a recent news conference. He noted that uncertainty affects 655 workers in association facilities. “It is truly a shame to cause such anxiety for a population that stepped up to help us, especially after COVID,” Blanchard said. Elected officials, including major city mayors, worry these workers may move to Ontario for faster processing.
Candidates’ Immigration Proposals
Christine Fréchette, former economy minister, pledges to reopen the PEQ for two years, exempting pre-abolition applicants in Quebec. She plans to cut PSTQ invitations accordingly to meet immigration targets.
Bernard Drainville, former environment minister, commits to exempting French-speaking skilled workers in health care, education, construction, and specialized manufacturing who arrived before the cutoff.
Immigration Minister Jean-François Roberge ordered a study on transitional measures following the PEQ abolition. Results will go to the next CAQ leader and premier.
Provincial Budget Timeline Uncertain
Finance Minister Eric Girard typically tables the annual budget between March 10 and 25, ahead of the March 31 fiscal year end. The leadership race leaves the 2026-27 budget date unclear, with Girard declining specifics.
Delays could disrupt nonprofits reliant on government funding. Food Banks of Quebec (BAQ), serving nearly 1,400 community organizations through 33 members, received $25.5 million last year for food purchases. Véronique Beaulieu-Fowler, BAQ director of philanthropy, explains that while $8.5 million is reserved for early-year aid, an earlier budget aids planning. “That means that even with a job, people can’t make ends meet,” she said, citing rising demand. The BAQ’s 2025 Hunger Count shows over three million food assistance requests in March, up 6.6% from 2024 and 37% since 2022. About 20% of user households report employment as their main income.
Quebec’s 2025-26 deficit stands at $12.4 billion under the Balanced Budget Act, per the November 2025 economic update. The government weighs tabling the budget before or after the April leadership vote. A pre-vote release ties it to Legault, while a post-vote one aligns the new leader with fiscal plans ahead of the October election.